The Rutgers Environmental Steward program is designed to introduce non-scientists to the science behind important environmental issues and the impacts of climate change affecting NJ. Stewards then give back to their own communities by helping to tackle local environmental problems. If you have a passion for the environment, a desire to learn and a willingness to volunteer, then this program is for you!
We offer one, statewide, online class which starts in January with approximately 5 sessions of in-person instruction. The class is organized into 5 regions and each region has its own Coordinator. In order to become a Certified Environmental Steward, class participants must complete a 60-hour project of their choosing after the conclusion of the course. The community-based project exposes the Stewards to real-world environmental issues in their communities.
2024 Class Registration is Closed
I am thoroughly enchanted with this program. The knowledge I have acquired is nothing less than inspiring.2023 year end survey respondent
- Classes convene weekly on Tuesdays from January 23 to May 14 from 5:30–7:30pm with a content expert who covers that week’s topic. From 7:30- 8pm, classes break out into regions to cover local issues and meet with their coordinator for further discussion and activities.
- Class fee is $325. A limited number of discounts available to those in need. Contact the regional coordinator for your county.
- Most classes are provided online via Zoom and our course management system called Canvas. You must have a computer or tablet with a microphone and speaker to participate. A desktop or laptop is preferred. View a Model-RES-Curriculum-and-Schedule (subject to change).
- Approximately 5 classes will be conducted in-person, during class time, by region for field activities, demonstration, or in-person discussion. Optional fieldtrips to environmentally significant sites around the state will also be provided.
- Please note that you must be 16 years of age to participate. Under 18 requires parent permission and oversight.
To email a coordinator with region specific questions, click on their name. For general program questions or support with the registration process, contact our Unit Administrator, Trish Maguire.
Region 4: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Salem. Regional Coordinator: Mike Jacob