Hopewell Valley Open Space - Intern
Title: Land Steward Intern
(short-term: approximately June 1, 2008 – November 30, 2008)
Supervisor: Stewardship Director
Location: Hopewell Township, New Jersey
Preparer: Michael Van Clef, Stewardship Director
Date Prepared: January 23, 2008
Summary of Position:
The Land Steward Intern will work for the Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space (FoHVOS). He/she will assist the Stewardship Director by initiating the Hopewell Valley Invasive Species Strike Team, which will consist of a cooperative effort among various partnering organizations. Tasks will include searching and mapping emerging populations of invasive species, performing control of invasive species, and assisting with the organization of volunteer work days. The Land Steward Intern will be supervised by the Stewardship Director, but will interact with partners of various disciplines. The salary for the internship is $12.00/hour with a 35-hour work week (950 hours total). Housing is not provided.
- Search and map emerging populations of invasive species that threaten conservation targets including forest and meadow habitats.
- Perform control activities to eradicate emerging populations of invasive species. Control activities may include mechanical removal and/or application of herbicides.
- Assist with recruitment, training and scheduling of volunteers to assist with searching, mapping, and control activities.
- With the Stewardship Director, provide project updates to FoHVOS Board of Trustees and assist with report preparation that communicates results to partners and granting agencies.
- Perform other tasks related to the formation of the Hopewell Valley Invasive Species Strike Team as assigned by the Stewardship Director.
1. Bachelor’s degree in ecology, natural resource management or related fields focusing on conservation is preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of invasive species management is preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of GPS/GIS and the flora/fauna of New Jersey is preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated outreach skills preferred, but not required.
By Friday, March 21, send or E-mail a resume, cover letter addressing how your education/experience qualifies you to accomplish the job duties listed above, and the names, E-mail addresses, phone numbers, and mailing addresses of three references to:
Michael Van Clef
Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space
P.O. Box 395
Pennington, New Jersey 08534