The Wonder of Nature
"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful." e.e. cummings
- Rutgers 4-H programs offer opportunities for children to experience the natural world and to work with animals. Click on County Cooperative Extension offices and choose the 4-H phone number in your county.
- Camden County 4-H CYFAR Program
- Rutgers Gardens Children's Programs Discover New Jersey's Secret Garden.
- Rutgers c.o.o.l classroom
- Project Learning Tree from FREC
The Children in Nature Network
- The Children's Nature Institute (CNI)
- Children in Nature Campaign by California State Parks
- Duke Farms in Hillsborough, NJ; Educational Programs
- New Duke Farms Junior Naturalist Program
- The Sarah P. Duke Gardens at Duke University.
- Camden, NJ Children's Garden
- 4-H Children's Garden at MSU - contains 56 individual theme gardens
- Liberty Science Center
- NJDEP environmental education directory website: seeds
- Alliance for New Jersey Environmental Education (ANJEE)
- Teaching Materials:
MORE or LESS (ppt) (Allow time to download)
MORE or LESS - Anjee Doc (Allow time to download)
Children and Nature (Poster)
- 4-H National Council; 4-H Mall.org (Down to Earth - Classroom Gardening)
- National 4-H Promotional Toolkits
- JMG Kids Online Junior Master Gardener
- International Dark- Sky Association (IDA) Educators and Kids
- US Energy Information Administration EIA-Kids
- Children of the Earth Foundation www.cotef.org has a Nature and Wilderness Survival series of hands on learning activities for youth
- Equine Science - Lord Nelson Blog redesigned, interactive youth component now available on the Rutgers Equine Science Center's website. Lord Nelson, a 37-year old American Quarter horse, is featured as the figurehead guiding youth through the revamped educational component
- USGS Multimedia Gallery for educational materials
- Groundwater Foundation's Kids Corner
- King County groundwater animation
- NJ Audubon Rancocas Nature Center programs
- Fledging Birders Institute (FBI)
- Trout in the Classroom; NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife and Trout Unlimited
- Kids Club Thirteen, WNET New York Public Media
- Teaching Green (Jan 28, 2013 video) at Three Bridges Elementary School
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." Kahlil Gibran
"I got one!"
- Lakota Wolf Preserve, Columbia, NJ (Warren County)
- Cora Hartshorn Arboretum, Short Hills, NJ; Programs; Calendar; Mini CampsFebruary 18 - 22 and April 22 - 26, 2013; Registration open for Summer Programs
- Now - Summer - Big Bugs at Morris Arboretum, UPENN
- Essex County Environmental Center - Programs
- Now - March 1, 2013 (Friday) Deadline - New Jersey Native Fish Art and Writing Contest for grades 4 through 7 sponsored by Trout Unlimited. For more information, see NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife
- Now - March 31, 2013 Deadline - Wildlife Forever's State-Fish Art Contest open to grades K - 12. Wildlife Forever website
- April 6 - 11, 2013 National 4-H conference, Washington, DC
- Now - May 15, 2013 - Applications accepted for the Russell A. Cookingham Scholarship for eligible students. Complete info at NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife
- Project PORTS (Promoting Oyster Restoration Through Schools) Call for Volunteers.
- (2013 TBA) June 28 - July 2 OR July 30 - August 3, 2012: One week residential summer workshop for motivated students to explore New Jersey's salt marsh environment at the Sedge Island Natural Resource Education Center; sponsored by the NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife and the Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ. The session is open to students entering grades 7 to 9 in the fall 2012 school year. Flyer
- July 11 - 13, 2013: Annual National Children and Youth Gardening Symposium at Denver Botanic Garden in Colorado; submit session proposals
- September 14 -15, 2013 10am - 5pm: New Jersey Wild Outdoor Expo at Colliers Mills Wildlife Management Area, Jackson Township, NJ. For more information, visit the website
- (2013 TBA) October 13, 2012 (Saturday) 9am - noon (arr.9 - 10am) National Wildlife Federation and NJ Audubon Scherman-Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary "Hike and Seek" fundraising event in Bernardsville, NJ
"Go out, go out I beg of you
And taste the beauty of the wild.
Behold the miracle of the earth
With all the wonder of a child." Edna Jaques
- 2012 ANJEC Environmental Achievement Award for Kestrel Awareness Project presented to Plumsted Township EC with Girl Scout Troop 559
- 2012 Winners - Governor's Surf Fishing Tournament at Island Beach State Park
- 2012 Native Fish Art and Writing Contest Winners Honored; (NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife Annual Contest)
- Coldwater Conservation School - 2011 slides
- 2012 Wildlife Forever's State- Fish Art Contest - First Place State Winners; National Award Winners; International First Place Winners
- Green Faith Heroes About 110 youth from the Interfaith Center of Greater Philadelphia’s Youth Program became Green Faith Heroes by cleaning up Cobbs Creek Community Education Environmental Center in Philadelphia. Youth attended from 30 congregations and schools.
- 4-H Million Trees Project - More than 50 4-H Club members from the Somerset County, New Jersey 4-H Youth Development Program, their families, friends and adult volunteers, participated in the international 4-H Million Trees project to combat climate change by planting 350 trees at Duke Farms on May 6.
"Only as a child's awareness and reverence for the wholeness of life are developed can his humanity to his own kind reach its full development." Rachel Carson